Sunday 13 May 2012

Tutorial one: Information Technology



This blog is focusing on information technology "We use the term information technology or IT to refer to an entire industry. In actuality, information technology is the use of computers and software to manage information." (Schneider, 2012) Information technology is so much more than just computers it is now cellphones, home phones, cameras, ipads, alarm clocks and television it surrounds us all day everyday.

Information Technology is a huge part of our lives, it is what shapes society. Throughout society technology is "a branch of engineering that deals with the use of computers and telecommunications to retrieve and store and transmit information" (Howe, 2012) It has come so far and is an amazing things especially for people like Andy using the Iportal this video shows how he is more independant using the iportal.


I currently use technology on a day to day basis, I use it for many reasons such as my cellphone for reminders and the time and date. I use my laptop for study and class work, I also use my laptop to keep in contact with friends and family that are living all over New Zealand and Australia. Having technology makes getting to know someone or something a whole lot better. I personally am a few steps behind the technology, I am comfortable in using most devices that have been around as i have been growing up, I have been given the opportunity to use certain technologies.I do struggle a lot with all the new technology that has been introduced in the last few years. Technology comes and goes so fast that I do not get a chance to experience them enough and for me it takes awhile to get used to how new things work. However without technology I would struggle to do a lot of the activities that I participate in daily living. I now rely on technology a lot and it is a big part of how i live my life.

Throughout placement I came across technology that I was familiar with and also technologies that  I had never heard of. I found this very interesting and soon became confident in helping the clients use certain technology. Technologies such as switches were used by the occupational therapist, these are used for clients who do not have the ability to do certain things such as not having hand movement to turn something on so the switch is placed on the wheelchair by their head so they push the switch to turn a certain technology on. This gives the client more freedom and independence, when they know that they have turned the bubble machine on themselves their face lights up in happiness. This is why technology is so good for Occupational therapist to use in practice.

The Occupational therapist will have to have a good understanding of how to work the piece of technology that is being used or it will not work out and go to plan. As technology is growing it is also getting more complex so having a good understanding of the positives and negatives of the equipment is important.
For future Occupational therapists Ipad's will be a major piece of technology that will be used. It is good in many ways to help out clients with all sorts of different needs such as Autistic children learning how to write letters. This video will give you a look into an O.T working with a child with Autism on an Ipad.

References:

Howe, D. (2012). Technology. Retrieved April 2012,from Dictionary.com:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/technology

Schneider, L. (2012). About.com. Retrieved April 2012, from Information Technology - Definition and History: http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/careersintechnology/p/ITDefinition.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment